Saturday, May 12, 2007

Are Malaysians decent?

This morning I was woken up by a phone call from a friend in KL. It was nice to hear from her after so long. But unfortunately, she had some bad news. Last week she was mugged in the LRT station. A man pointed a knife at her, brought her to a corner and threatened her to give in all her money. This happened in broad daylight and the station was full of people jostling in a rush to get home after work. I'm sure that people saw this incident happening but chose to ignore it and carry on like nothing was happening. I guess that closing one eye is a trend among us. It's such a shame. I don't expect anyone to come to her rescue and risk his/her life for a stranger. But nobody came to her aid or offer any kind of assistance after the guy went away. Everyone just buat dunno. Nobody helped her to report this to the authorities. My friend was just left alone standing there, stunned, traumatized by what had happened. What shock me the most is not that my friend was mugged in a crowded place but how we choose to ignore an underage kid in time of serious help. I guess nobody cares as long as it doesn't happen to them. But what if the same thing happened to your kid or yourself? Wouldn't you be mad at the reaction of the people who witnessed the crime or should i say the lack of it?

2 comments:

__mars said...

so many assumptions, one big generalization.

One bad thing happened to a person, assumed someone actually witnessed it and ignored it. And then generalized, through that assumption, that everybody is indifferent to what happened to you friend.

I think your reasoning is flawed.

SilentSiren22 said...

maybe people didn't see. rush hour everyone is focusing to get to their destination never noticed that she got mugged.

maybe la..

anywho, to those people who saw.. what comes around, goes around.